Friday, March 23, 2007

TNR

J.A. and I finally made it out to a TNR. Tranquility was perfect. No mud at all.



J.A. and I rode the first lap with Dale. We started the second lap just before everyone else started, so I'm pretty sure everyone got a chance to pass me at least once. J.A. rode the climbs of the second lap in one gear to simulate a single speed. I think he could do really well with one gear. He had no problem dropping me. After he left, I stuck around and did one more lap for good measure. By the third lap, I was actually able to ride everything (slowly) taking breaks on the climbs. I switched from a 32:20 gear combo to 32:18 this week. Man, that hurts. Hopefully I can stick it out and be in better shape this year.



6 comments:

TheProfessor said...

You guys rock

T-bone said...

Stick with it AB. 32x18 is the magic gear for around here on a 29er IMO. It will be tough for a month or two but once you get over the hump you will be much stronger. SS rocks!

A.B. said...

Thanks for the encouragement, t-bone. I'm looking forward to tree trunk legs.

Mark Savery said...

run the 32x18, you'll love it. glad you boys made it out last week

A.B. said...

It was good to be there. I hope to someday be able to keep up with the rest of the participants of the TNR (or at least some of them.)

dale said...

32x18 is still too much gear for my legs. 32x20 was nice to spin most of the time and get the legs use to a ss, 32x19 is my current favorite. Matches my comfort speed and cadence spinning through singletrack, provides enough resistance when standing but not too much to stall on hills. Also allows me to put in multihour rides that I couldn't finish otherwise.

Saw MOD running a 34x18 on his green machine, but he likes to go faaaasssst!