Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dang!!!

Met Lumpy yesterday for some laps at Tranquility. I got there early, so I decided to do a half lap warm-up. In that short period of time, I managed to convert my straight seatpost into a layback seatpost. Why me?!?! I was bunny hopping and my left foot came unclipped. I managed to ride it out, but when I came down on the seat, it very smoothly moved back on me. At first, I thought that it just slipped and rotated back a little bit, but then I remembered that this particular post has a bolt in the front and one in the back for angle adjustment. If it had rotated, one of those would've been broken. Then I thought I bent the rails on my seat. When I arrived at the trailhead, I got off the bike and saw this: Are you serious? This is the second seatpost I've broken on this bike since I got it in May. Who are they trying to kid? A 26.8 diameter post on a 28 lb steel bike? Did they really think this was a good place to save weight?
Well, now I'm in the market for a clyde-worthy seatpost. If anyone has any good leads on a Thompsen, let me know.
Next order of business
I just bought new shoes. Nothing fancy, just Specialized BG Sport. The thing I was thinking about is whether or not it would be helpful to give my old ones away or loan them out to people who are thinking about getting clipless pedals. I know it is a big commitment to buy your first pair of pedals and shoes, so I thought maybe having a tester pair available would be nice. They are size 43 (size 10.5, I think) Adidas Pingora's, pretty dirty, the soles are cracked, sounds really enticing, right? I have pictures if someone wants to look at them. Anyways, they're there if anyone needs them.

3 comments:

sailforce5 said...

ab, what I want ot know is if you went ahead and kept riding or called it a night? You're hardcore so I'm putting my money on you doing at least a lap.

A.B. said...

Dang right I did! I rotated the seat as far forward as possible and did one backwards lap with Lumpy, Dale, and a guy named Kieth. It was very uncomfortable, though. (BTW, Lumpy was the only one of us not on a singlespeed)

dale said...

Nice idea to make your shoes available but I take my old pair whenever I race or travel long distance to ride somewhere.

My Pearl Izumi shoes busted the BOA string system warming up for a KS race couple weeks ago. 4 year old and worn Answers filled in. Ended up ruining the PI trying to get the ratchet wheel off so I'm saving for a new pair of shoes.

I've had a poor experience with the BOA adjustment system. Loosen up during riding and very difficult to replace broken string.