Monday, April 14, 2008


Went out for some paved miles late afternoon yesterday. Only came home with two though...


I stopped to snap this shot of one of the longer climbs, put the phone away, clipped in, hissssssssss... Not again!! I ended up walking up over that hill to where my wife could pick me up.

I kid you not, about 60% of my rides have ended this way since I changed my original tubes. You guys all know what I'm talking about, the Professor had to pick me up on the last long ride we tried to do. J.A. rode back to my car to get a spare tube for me at Manawa. When JC, Lumpy and I went on that ride and met our wives for a picnic, it happened then too. I'm getting really tired of this.

Why do the valves keep pulling out of the tubes? Apparently the tire slips on the rim, pulling the tube with it, putting tension on the base of the valve. Somebody please help me figure out how to stop this. (it was the front tire this time, by the way, so only braking forces acting on the tire)

5 comments:

jc4300 said...

A-Train, that stinks! I had a similar problem - my bike basically fell apart in my hands. Pieces are coming off my bike, and I think my front hydraulics gave out. I'll have to go see mod and crew to find out what's going on my with infant Giant.

Mark Savery said...

Bring it!

Hope you got it handled A.B.

Let me know if doesn't work, maybe I can pull a rabbit out of hat.

Lump, how was Swanson for ya. Didn't realize it was you until you were past.

A.B. said...

jc: I want to see pictures of broken stuff!

mod: I'll give it a shot. Stopped by and picked up some tubes yesterday.
Do I use the baby powder before or after it's on the baby?

Healthy Joe said...

I am just wondering when a.b. snapped that photo of me he is using as an avatar.

jc4300 said...

ab: my bike is in the care of the Trek Store. Hopefully I'll have pictures of fixed parts soon.