Monday, December 08, 2008

Mediocre thougths from some average guys

A couple years ago Lumpy sent a letter in to one of the national bike magazines. As usual, 90% of it was sarcastic. He talked about being un-motivated and hinted at being lazy. Well as usual people didn't know how to react to Lumpy and took him seriously. The next month somebody wrote the magazine talking about how bad people like Lumpy were for society because of their laziness. Well, the next 10 weeks will offer some proof to people like Mr. "Goathead hater" that we are in fact not lazy.
Posts on Mtb.goatheads dwindle during the non-riding months. So for my viewing pleasure we will be ranking the top ten trails ridden by Goatheads. Hundreds of trails were considered, but not all met the criteria. For starters, at least two Goatheads had to have ridden the trail. Other considerations were: degree of difficulty (i.e. no Wabash), some degree of fun (going down, GOING UP!!!, or TTFs), and probably the most important element - EPICNESS. This week we will start with the Honorable Mentions.
SWANSON - this is old reliable in Omaha. So maybe nobody will drive from CO to Omaha, just to ride this trail, but on a warm day in the summer it is hard to find a parking spot because this place draws so many people.

INDIAN CAVE - for me this is the first place I ever went on a mtn. bike ride. Also, it could be considered home to the first Goathead group ride. If you like hills, great views, and spider webs - this place is for you.

LEWIS AND CLARK - in the Omaha metro this is probably my favorite trail. In years past you could always test your fitness against Mt. Neverest (R.I.P.).

PLATTE RIVER STATE PARK - What?!?!?!?! Platte doesn't even make the top ten, well that is how good the top ten is. HOWEVER, just look at the poll on mtb.omaha to realize how great Platte is. The only problem I have with Platte is that I have only been there 5 times in the last two years. This is my favorite Nebraska trail.

So, next week we hit the top ten. Feel free to comment, be a critic, or give praise.

8 comments:

jc4300 said...

I give praise!

Lumpy said...

I was hoping to see some pictures from the Goathead Christmas party, but this is good too.

The only two trails that I would add to my honorable mention list would be the Olympic MTB trail in Georgia and a few trails around Sedona. Hopefully, I can ride these again someday with Goatheads on my wheel.

Anonymous said...

OK so this topic brought me out from the shadows. Long time reader first time poster. Creepy! Anyway, I have not had a chance to ride trails outside of the metro area. Someday - I want to ride to Dakota 50!! I have to agree the Platte is the best in the area. I still remember the first time I rode there. I thought this sucks!!Now that I can do a lap without dying, the place is outstanding. I think we need to start giving tranquility some credit, with the recent changes,it is actually begining to be fun. I hope to beable to clear the new stuff at the top of the hill soon!

Lumpy said...

BF, I gonna have to agree with you. Tranquility has been getting better every year. I'm not sure why it gets a bad rap. I guess Theprofessor is just a hater.

I work out west and live in Benson, so it's pretty much the only trail that's conveniently located for me.

I remember hearing some talk a while back of taking the trail under Fort street, around the softball complex and connecting it with Standing Bear. I wonder if that'll ever happen.

Mark Savery said...

Come on Prof! Platte not in the top ten? You gotta give top ten status to the best local trail. If for nothing else, at least for the fact that you can get there in 30 minutes.

Lumpy said...

I'm feelin ya Mod.
I don't know why Theprofessor is mean-muggin on the big O. I get the feeling he has an axe to grind with THOR.
I was kinda hoping he would take this opportunity to be a uniter not a divider. I personally think Omaha has great trails.
C'mon Prof, don't hate, elevate!

TheProfessor said...

We all wish Platte could have made it into the top ten. However, I had to be honest. Let me explain it in college football terms. Nebraska (my home by choice) is like the WAC. There is some quality stuff here. But going undefeated while playing in the WAC does not mean you can compete in the BCS championship game. Nor does it guarantee a BCS bowl bid.

Oh and if this ranking bothers you, trail number 6 might get me banned from the metro.

Mark Savery said...

I didn't know you felt that strong about Field Club.