Monday, December 15, 2008

10. "Oh, we're way out of our league." - Lumpy



The 10th ranked trail by mtbgoatheads.com is the Dakota 5 0. This was not so much one trail as it was a loop made up of many trails. Does it still count? YOU BET. What are its qualifications? Incredible single track and amazing views certainly help its credentials. Look at the profile map, that is a thing of beauty. Make no mistake, the climbs are harder than they look. That is what makes them so fun/horrible. The 5 0 route forced all participating members of Team Goathead to experience at least one of the following affects, severe leg cramps, mental meltdowns, or vomiting. That alone earns this trail top ten status. HOWEVER, despite Lumpy's pre-race pep talk (see above title) all four Goatheads finished the race. Goatheads 4 Dakota 5 0 zero. Oh and all particpating members plan on returning to Spearfish in '10 (some by choice, others by my choice).

3 comments:

Lumpy said...

I'm not going to argue with you about rating this #10, but I do disagree with your assessment as to why it's a top 10 trail.
First of all, I don't remember any "amazing views". I do remember seeing what seemed like a canyon to my left during one part of the race, but I'm not sure if that was just one of my hallucinations. I'm guessing there weren't really tree gnomes or a Minotaur cheering on riders. And I doubt there was really a guy in a neon-spandex-body-suit with one butt cheek hanging out of a gaping whole, handing out gel packs inserted in his crack. And I doubt they were really handing out PBR and bacon at the top of the last big climb........ Actually, some of that might have happened.

What I do remember is great comradery, a few dozen miles of well groomed single track, amazing volunteers, and cows.

For 51 weekends out of the year, I would probably choose a dozen other trails within an 8 hour drive of Omaha, but on Labor Day weekend you can't beat the Dakota 5-0.

Lumpy said...

Here's a good video from the race:

http://www.boomboxradio.net/SDNN/Default.aspx?ChannelID=1&LibraryID=470

Mark Savery said...

Next year fellas, next year. I look forward to it. Bring the beer!!!