Tuesday, September 02, 2008

5-0 pics







Lumpy's race recap:

Mile 8: My back tightened up so bad that I thought I had fire ants in my jersey.

Mile 15: I clipped a log on my downstroke and crashed hard.

Mile 21: While passing someone on the grass, a fire ant flew into my jersey and bit me three times

Mile 24: I blasted through a fresh cow pie splattering "pie" all over my legs and into the mouth of the guy behind me.

Mile 30: I got leg cramps in places I didn't think you could get cramps.

Mile 39: As I pushed my bike up the "Widow Maker", I was trying to think if I had enough tools in my backpack to disassemble my bike and bury it in the woods, and then hike out, forgetting that this ever happened.

Mile 48: I crossed the finish line 3 hours behind the winners and proceeded to puke my guts out........ twice.

48 hours later: I'm ready to do it again!

Good times, Goatheads! Good Times!

7 comments:

Jon said...

Wow, burying it in the woods. As I went up that same climb I just wondered if there WAS as top.

Dang that was hard.

Jon Downey
Norfolk, NE

A.B. said...

Nice job guys!
Did J-Mac go clipless?!?!

TheProfessor said...

J-mac has been clipless for about 1.5 months.

A.B. said...

Please find it in your heart to forgive me, J-Mac, for I am no longer worthy of your friendship :(

Mark Savery said...

Nice job guys. After reading the reports I'm convinced that regardless of fitness or experience, everyone goes through the same crap. That race is way harder than I remembered it and I'm counting the weeks until I get to do it again. Drink beer, eat bacon, enjoy life.

Lumpy said...

Mod,
I honestly don't think we would have gone if it weren't for your recommendation. Despite the pain, I'm glad we did.
I'm a little bummed it kicked my butt so bad. Part of the reason I want to go back is so I can try to take big chunk out my ridiculous time.
Unfortunately, Team Goathead tries to do one big trip a year, and if we do a low key trip to somewhere like Fruita vs a ball buster like the 5-0, we can get more riders on board. So, the 5-0 might have to wait a year or two, but hopefully I'll get my revenge someday.
Thanks for ruining..err/fixing my breaks, and thanks for promoting the sport.

Later

Lumpy said...

.....Brakes.