Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Great ride last night!

Met JC4300 at Tranquility last night. It felt really good to be out on such a nice night. I don't think we could've asked for any better conditions. The trail was perfect with the exception of a couple greasy spots, one of which is pretty much unavoidable (Dale, what's the best way to handle that spot: to just blast through it, or to slow down and creep through?). After JC left, Lumpy showed up with his brand new drivetrain, courtesy of the folks over at the Trek Store. We rode a lap, and he showed me no mercy. It's all good though, I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds this season. I'm starting to grow into the new gearing , I rode my first nonstop, no walking, lap last night with it. It may be more difficult, but I like getting the climbs done faster.
Still riding on a bent seatpost. It forces me to stand more to avoid reaching a new level of intimacy with my bike. The Bike Way is hooking up the warranty replacement from Redline for the original post, and then when that one comes in, I will send in the Sette post for warranty. I need to start riding with a little more finnesse.

5 comments:

jc4300 said...

It was beautiful last night. Thanks for riding.

Dale: We talked last night, but I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

It was weird riding with everyone else getting ready for the race. I think a.b. and I were the only ones riding the trail in the normal direction.

dale said...

It will be interesting to see which way people ride after the race. Several have said they prefer clockwise. Others prefer counterclockwise.

jc, unfortunately, it takes me many introductions to start remembering people's names, so Monday night doesn't count. 8-)

dale said...

a.b. forgot to congratulate you on turning the 18t the entire lap! Maybe that bent seat post is a blessing in disguise.

A.B. said...

I'm not so sure about that. Last night at the TNR, my back was killing me. I'm not sure if it was the post or something else, but I hope that was a one-time thing.
Also, I am among the people that do not like the clockwise?(backwards) direction.

dale said...

We've gone back and forth on direction over the years. Been riding it mostly counterclockwise for awhile. Clockwise seems more refreshing to me right now, probably because it is different.

Making it a long climb up from the Papio River is better for ss rigid, imo. As a dh, suspension and gears create a gap there. It seems like clockwise has the uphills longer distance and the downhills shorter which is usually better for ss.

The water is gone in that muddy spot, just some soft dirt. If there is water there, my suggestion is try to lift the front wheel over it. If not, keep the wheel straight and blast through with pedals at 3 and 9 and keep your weight back a little.