Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"It went in my mouth!!!!!!

The best way to describe what went down last Sunday was a multi-round fight. The Goatheads decided to challenge the Dakota 5 0 to a duel. The first body blow to handle was bike problems. Tires, center pivots, brakes, shifting, and frames all had issues in the weeks, days, and even hours leading up to the start. However, shops in Omaha and Council Bluffs were up to the challenge and helped the bikes get ready. Lumpy and J.A. even enjoyed the service of a local Spearfish shop. A personal thanks from me goes out to Andy and Bryson from Highgear. Andy, my bike performed great and you’re the reason. Bryson was working on J.A.’s bike at about 9:00 pm Saturday night.

The course, in Goathead terms was like connecting/riding Dakota Ridge, Apex, and Larry the Bear all at once. To non-Goatheads it was like “Dr. Seuss’s worst nightmare.” We at least got to ride about ¾ of a mile on flat ground before the first hill. Climbing all the way up to the single track REALLY spread out the field and took a nice chunk of our energy. Once on the single track, the key was pace. Which wasn’t hard because we were going up. The first part of the trail was not super technical, but it went up and up and up. I happened to crash twice in the first 15 minutes of the single track. Meeting up with J.A. at the first aide station was a huge blessing. Between miles 16-21 I had a near meltdown mentally. I was secretly wanting a mechanical issue to call it a day. Keeping my mind occupied through conversation J.A. and I made it to one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, Aid station number 2!!!!.

The Second part of the course contained one of the longest downhills I have ever ridden, at least 8 minutes of just going down. Of course the second half of the course also contained: some very technical riding, a downhill that me and some other competitors walked, the climb known as “the widowmaker”, and a climb up a fire rode that went on forever.

After riding back on the single track we started on, we descended back into Spearfish on the gravel and paved roads that took us out of town. You can imagined how relieved we were to see the end of the single track.

Goathead times were(roughly)- 6:24, 6:34, 7:20, 8:30

Lumpy gets the “good Samaritan” award for helping a cyclist dealing with cramps. He also gets the “cow pie award” for causing a person behind him to swallow some after Casey rode through it. J-mac will be selling videos next year called “Less is More”, he rode his bike less than 20 times this season before tackling the 5 0. I trust my fellow Goatheads will help fill in the parts I missed.

No comments: