Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We gave it a tri

Okay, that was a bad pun. However, last Saturday JA and myself competed in our first triahlon. It was trainig for the Xterra Tri that Lumpy, JA, and myself are doing in August.

The city of Plattsmouth holds a sprint tri, an excellent beginner event.
The swim was only 300 yds in a pool. Not too hard, but a great way to prepare for the longer even in August. Jeff and I had give a time for our swim that meant we started almost a half hour after the first swimmer. Since it was a chipped time event, that really didn't affect anything. When my turn to start came I was a little nervous and a little excited. Evidently a little too excited, I forgot to take regular breaths and had to stop at one end for about 5 seconds to catch my breath. ROOKIE MISTAKE.

The swim was eventually over and it was on to the bike. My transition was SLOW, but eventually I was on the road. Thanks to Lumpy, I had a bike more suited for a Tri than any bike I owned. I was hoping to catch JA, but after my bad swim and slow transition it was going to take awhile. Just after the turnaround point, JA and I hooked up and set a pretty good pace back to the finish. Next up - the run.

We had previewed the course and new what to expect - hills, hills, and more hills. So after another slow transition time, JA and I were on the run course. There was a flat section about halfway into the run and then it was back to the hills.
As I ran across the finish line I was a little surprised - 1 hour 15 minutes. My goal was 1hr. 20min or even 1hr 30min. About 3 minutes later JA came across the line. Once again, another enjoyable endurance event for Team Goathead

No comments: