Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Adventures in Mediocrity

For years, Team Goathead has existed among the upper echelon of mediocrity, and we're perfectly okay with that. Jon's write up was a great recap of the race, but I would simply describe it as a perfectly mediocre race weekend. We all came in around 6 hours which barely puts us in the top half of the 500 person field. None of us ride with expectations of excellence. We ride because we love sharing epic experiences with great friends. Admittedly, some of us have gotten more serious about riding over the years. I never thought I would race wearing lycra, I never thought I would work at a bike shop and I never thought I would put more miles on my bike in a week than I do in my car. But the real objective in all of this "seriousness" is just so that the adventures can be more and more epic. Somebody already threw out the idea of 24 hours of Moab and I've already started thinking about how to train for the Exterra Triathlon.
Honestly, I'm very satisfied with my race time, but my favorite part of the race was seeing JC at every aid station and seeing The Professor and JA come across the finish line together. In a few weeks the race will be a blur, but I will definitely remember the "Jewnado", The "gay/Ukrainian hotel" and "boating euphemisms" for a long time.
Just anther mediocre adventure with good friends.
Here's some photographic evidence to attest to the mediocrity.....























2 comments:

CJ said...

What brand of tow behind cargo trailer are you using. That thing looks sweet.

Oh, by the way...nice write up and great pics.

Thanks

Lumpy said...

CJ...... We got comments all weekend about that thing. You're right, it is sweet. I don't know who makes it, we borrowed it from the Omaha Trek Store. Hopefully they will let us use it again in the future.