Sunday, August 06, 2006

My helmet Cam

A few months ago, I decided to turn my old helmet into a helmet-cam.



I'm pretty happy with the way it mounts on there, but I have had limited success capturing the kind of video I want. On Saturday, the Professor and I went to Platte. If it seems like the music is moving a lot faster than we are, it is. We were both taking it pretty easy because the heat was oppressive that day and because neither of us wants to be the first to wreck with the camera on. My wife still hates the idea of me strapping it to my head.



Anything posted to Google video comes back grainy and choppy, besides that, does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking about purchasing a wide angle lens for my camera. Maybe that will help.

7 comments:

A.B. said...

No good advice, just a thank you to you guys who are out there despite the conditions, so that posers like me have something to look at on a Monday morning. Good job guys!

TheProfessor said...

ADVICE,
next time choose a slower song and we can say that it was filmed in slow motion.

A.B. said...

Advice:
Sing while you ride at your own pace.

Mark Savery said...

That things gotta be heavier than crap. How do you hold your head UP!

Lumpy said...

Yeah, a definite draw back is the weight, but I've seen other people that have tried it on the side of the helmet with a counter weight on the other side. That would be some serious neck pain. Mine isn't too bad as long as you trade off with someone every 30-45 minutes.
How long do you give us before we completed destroy it on a low branch?

Anonymous said...

helmet cams can be come across cheap or made easily from a lipstick camera and attachments for the vid camera. $150 or under

Lumpy said...

Yeah, I know. I was seriously looking at buying one. But even if you have a lipstick camera you still need to bring a video capturing device with you. So instead of having it in my backpack, I just stuck it on my head. It cost me less than a buck.