Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fare Thee Well...

It Sounds like Mt. Neverest will be no more after this Sunday. I'm going to try to make it out to help with the trail work after church, but by the time I get there it may just be a distant and painful memory...... And I think it's a crying shame.
Yes, Neverest kicked my arse every time I went there, but that's the point of biking. You have to be a bit of a masochist to be a mountain biker to begin with. It's all about pain management and pushing yourself to new limits. Neverest is the best way in the metro area to test my limits..... But alas, it's going.
I'm trying to withhold judgment though. I haven't seen the new reroute. Maybe it will be better. Also, I don't know the exact reason it's being taken out. Maybe there's a great reason. I hope the reason isn't that most single speed riders can't make it up the hill. That would suck for those of us geared wusses.
If it's at all possible, it would be awesome if Neverest could remain an option for riders, but perhaps that's not doable. As with most things I'm generally mis/uninformed, but I continue to form opinions.
There have been a few questions floating around about how the new reroutes at L&C will effect the 321 Cycling Challenge. The answer is, not really. We will find a ridable lap at L&C before heading to Manawa.

I leave you with Kate Rusby singing Fare Thee Well to Mt. Neverest (complete with bagpipes)....

2 comments:

Martin said...

The guy responsible for the reroute can be contacted via his THOR address.

If you didn't know we have lost the north trail (old way down) due to its been on private property for years and the land owner wants us off. THOR is still trying to regain access to this land but it take time since we are dealing with a private land owner.

Mt Neverrest is not a good example on how a trail should be routed IAW IMBA guidance either and since it will be your primary way down and the only way out it needs to change. Erosion is already bad and with two way traffic it will only get worse in the current configuration. Collisions are also a concern.

Instead of remaining uninformed and speculating contact a THOR board member or the trail leader. They would like to hear comments both good and bad and pass on to you what they know first hand.

The pain is changing but there will still be pain.

Lumpy said...

Thanks for the info, Martin. I guess if I would just dust off my IAW IMBA guidelines a little more often, I could have figured that out for myself. I'm glad THOR is reading their copies.

I look forward to riding the reroute.

Bring the pain!