Monday, June 28, 2010

Ouch

We had so much fun two weeks ago, we decided to move Sunday Smackdown to the dirt yesterday. Lap one J.A. set a good pace. However I could tell that I would be fighting all ride just to limit my losses. On lap 2 Lumpy took over the lead and upped the tempo. He put time into me and J.A. on 2 climbs in a row. However, halfway up the 2nd climb J.A. exploded past me and caught Lumpy. They probably would have lost me for good had Lumpy not crashed going into a corner too hot. Unlucky for him, but lucky for me. Every turn of the pedal kept telling me that today was not my day. I managed to lead lap three, but was struggling to keep Lumpy and J.A. behind. As we started lap 4 Lumpy surged into the lead. Then . . . he was out of sight. He didn't attack me and Jeff, he simply threw the hammer down. Realizing a chase was futile, J.A. and myself simply finished in the main pack.
A lot of Goathead nation is asking "where are the others??" JC missed the start time but threw down a blazing lap in the middle of S.S. The A-train is still recovering from a pre-season crash that set back his training. The big question is whether J-mac will come out of retirement. He has said he will make a come back, but so far he is doing more talking than riding.
In September, Sunday Smackdown will merge with the Dakota 50. The Goathead national championship jersey will be on the line. I'm not sure what the guys in Vegas are saying but the smart money is on Mr. P90X.

No comments: