Monday, April 11, 2011

New trail, new bike

Some pictures of a trail I found while on a business trip to Dubuque, IA.
Ran into some super nice people while on the trail. The first day, a young couple were out riding with their dogs, and let me tag along as they showed me around a little bit. I would've been lost without that. The next day, I ran into a guy who was out making a new segment of trail. He informed me that my next business trip (Decorah, IA) will have a lot more great trails in store for me.
As for this trail, there is a gravel "road" that leads from the parking area down to a creek at the bottom of a valley, and then back up the other side. All of the singletrack branches off from and eventually returns to this road. There are tons of options. Everywhere you look, there is singletrack weaving in and around and up and down. A lot of it reminded me of Platte River SP, but with a lot more rocks, and some 100' deep mineshafts thrown in the mix. (There used to be lead mines there, I guess) Most of the time, I climbed up the road and then took the singletrack back down. I made about 8-10 runs each day, riding until I was totally exhausted. If you're ever around Dubuque, the trail is behind the Children's Zoo.
The "fat front" is very fun to ride. Once I got used to it, I was looking for rocks to hit. It's strange how you see a rock about the size of your fist as you ride over it, but you don't feel it until it hits the back tire. The front completely swallows it. I still have a lot of experimenting to do with pressures, as a little variance totally changes the ride. Can't wait to hit some Omaha singletrack!





2 comments:

Lumpy said...

Nice bike...... Whenever I see a dude driving truck with big tires, I assume he's compensating for something..... Does that apply here?


I will be in Dubuque at the end of July. I can't wait to go explore the trails.

A.B. said...

It only half applies...