Friday, January 16, 2009

"A front of crap"

I was going to post a few comments about how much this weather sucks and about how I yearn to ride trails. Then I decided BikeSnobNYC broke the weather down better than I could:

"Inhabitants of the snowbelt may scoff, but here in the New York City metropolitan area we're experiencing what we amateur meteorologists call "crappy weather." The scientific explanation for this is that a front of crap is moving through our region, carrying with it such crappy things as snow and coldness. Temperatures are below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about [mumblemumblemumble] degrees Celsius. Of course, as anybody who watches the weather knows, we no longer go by Fahrenheit or Celsius. We go by "feels like." According to Weather.com it "feels like" 4 degrees Fahrenheit right now. (Weather.com arrives at this figure by forcing three naked people to stand outside for five minutes and then guess how cold it is. They then take an average of the responses.) According to me, it "feels like" my nose hairs are freezing."

20 degree temps actually sounds pretty good right now. I could ride if it were 20.

Since weather moves from west to east, we typically get the same weather the east coast gets, we just get it a day or two earlier. I always get a laugh out of the national news when they whip themselves into a frenzy over the weather pattern that we just experienced. Weather isn't a story until it reaches the east coast, and when it does, media hysteria sets in.......Oh well, it allows me to live with a chip on my shoulder.

On Feb. 15th a few of us will be doing the Panama winter adventure race. I think I'll be ready, but a stretch of nice days would be great so I can get out for a few runs. Anyone else doing the race?

1 comment:

RD said...

i'm going to the mtb enduro on ides of march