Monday, September 11, 2006

The Omaha BMX scene is sweet!

So my wife's sister and her family came into town Friday just as I was getting home from a couple nice laps at Tranquility. Upon finishing our burritos, my brother-in-law, Fredy, and I found ourselves looking for something to do. I was like, "Hey Fredy, whatcha wanna do?" and he was like "No se" and I was like "There's this new BMX track down the street, and they're having races tonight, wanna go watch?" and he was like "Por supuesto" (not really, he's Guatemalan, but he speaks English just fine.) We headed down to Hefflinger at 7:45 thinking the races were over, but they were still warming up. Sweet. Some of these kids are fast! They were flying through the course, manualling over the bumps and stuff. It's crazy, we're grown men and the transition to clipless pedals is a big drama, but these kids were riding around, clipping in and clipping out, no problem. There was a couple "moto's" where the competitors couldn't have been more than 3 years old. It was so cool seeing these little guys and gals cruising down as fast as they could just to build enough momentum to get back up the other side. I was informed by the infamous Skinny D that there's a cruiser class that freaks like us could ride in with our big wheels, although I'm not sure what the situation is on you dorks with gears. We left at like 9:30 and they were still racing. Good to know about all this cool stuff going on in Omaha. Now Fredy's looking for a lightweight BMX for his daughter. Good times, yall.

3 comments:

Lumpy said...

They clip in and out on their BMX bikes?

I assumed they would have platform pedals.

Do they clear the table tops? The little bit that I screwed around on it, I didn't think I could get enough speed to clear it and land on the downhill transition.
I actually flipped through a BMX race on TV this weekend. They got some major air, but they started from a about a 30 ft. high platform to get up their speed. All Heflinger had was a hill about 10 ft. tall.

Dan Sundermeier said...

that track is fastest staying low right now. clipping in is fastest. all the turns are bermed, so unclipping is unnecessary. The pro line with the big doubles will be sweet. A.B.- no wheels bigger than 26 are allowed. sorry pal. get that haro put together i guess.

A.B. said...

Really? What's that hate all about? If I had disks, I'd just throw the 26" wheels on the 'cog and have a really low C.O.G.